TWN (Team Wednesday Night) is a social running group in Richmond, VA. We’ve been around since the summer of 2006.
We meet every Wednesday at 6:15 pm on the steps of First Baptist Church (Monument and Boulevard) in Richmond, VA, and we leave the church for our run at 6:20pm. We are not affiliated with the church, so please don’t use church parking.
During marathon training season (first week of June through the first week of November), we have routes that follow both the novice and intermediate schedules, and we’ll also have a 3 mile route throughout the season for those who are training for the half or who are just out for a run.
Always bring your own route to the run, and check it ahead of time. We’re all human, and while we try our best, we occasionally make mistakes on our routes. Also, Fan streets are notorious for having street signs that are difficult to locate.
Details of our runs
- Our paces are from 8:00 – 12:00 minutes per mile, our ages of our runners are from their 20’s – 70’s. We usually have a large enough group to accommodate a variety of paces and running styles.
- Runs are held year-round. The only weeks that we don’t run are the last 2 or 3 weeks in November.
- During MTT season, we follow the MTT Wednesday schedule for Novice and Intermediate runners, and we have organized SAGs for much of the latter half of the season, as long as there is support from the runners.
- Repeat – SAGs are entirely dependent on the support of TWN runners. More details later on how to volunteer or donate money towards SAG.
- We are not affiliated with Sportsbackers, although the majority of our runners are part of either the Sportbackers MTT group or the Half Training Team.
- You don’t have to be training for a marathon or half-marathon to run with this group. Everybody is welcome.
- We often socialize with food and drink after the runs at Arianna’s Grill at Park and Sheppard. Good food, good beer, and good friends (us).
- Each runner is responsible for their own safety.
- Wear reflective gear and lights if we will be running at dusk or later.
- We run on city streets with traffic flowing. Run safely by warning others with “Car Right, Car Left, Car Up, Car back” etc
- Run against traffic but not in traffic.
- Even if there isn’t any traffic on a road, always leave room for cars to pass in both directions.
- Bring hydration even during scheduled SAG weeks. SAGs are put out by volunteers and that costs money and time. We appreciate their efforts.
- If you are a slower runner, always leave room for faster runners to pass without forcing them onto the street.
- If you are a faster runner, let slower runners know you are coming up behind them with a simple, “Hello, how are you doing?”.
- Run 2 abreast at most.
- Respect our neighbors and fellow runners.